Enjoy this Uyghur comfort food! Serves 6.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp psyllium husk (for GF flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound beef, cut into thin strips
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp chili sauce
- 4 cups bone broth
- Chopped herbs (dill, parsley, or cilantro)
- For the noodles, mix together all of the ingredients. Knead well for 10 minutes, place in a greased bowl, cover, and let it sit for an hour.
- Roll out the dough into a large rectangle that is about 1/4″ thick.
- With a sharp knife, cut the dough into thin slices. Brush about 1/4 cup of olive oil on top, making sure all of the dough is covered with oil.
- Carefully stretch, roll & pull each noodle until it is about 14″ long.
- This is very difficult with gluten free dough, so if a few tear, do not worry about it!
- Set the noodles aside & cover, so they do not dry out.
- In a large wok or a deep pot, fry the beef with the butter & oil over medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
- Add in all of the veggies & sauté for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in all of the spices & stir for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, lower the heat, and let the soup simmer for 20 minutes.
- In another pot bring several cups of water & 1 tbsp of salt to a boil. Add the noodles & cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the water, add some butter to the noodles, and stir it around.
- To serve the soup, take some of the noodles & place them in the bottom of a bowl. Pour some broth over the noodles & place the chopped herbs on top!