This recipe is from one of my Iraqi friends. It is one of the most delicious ways to enjoy onions!
- 7 white onions
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups bone broth
- 4 cups tomato juice
- Slice off the top & bottoms of the onions. Boil in a pot of water for 30 minutes. Drain the water & let the onions cool.
- Rinse the rice several times & soak in a bowl of water for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the onions are cool, slice 1 slit half way through each onion, and carefully peel each layer off.
- Mix all of the filling ingredients together & stir over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Stuff the onion layers carefully & roll up. Place them in a casserole dish.
- Mix the bone broth & tomato juice together and pour over the onions.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350.