My daughter watching me cut open the rice dish – she was mesmerized by the crunchy sounds and steam rising!
- 3 cups rice + 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground saffron + 3 ice cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 pound stew meat
- 1 cup apricots, diced
- 1 cup raisins, diced
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 cup butter
- 6 tortillas
- After rinsing the rice several times, soak the rice in a large bowl with water and salt for 2 hours.
- Place ground saffron and ice cubes in a cup to melt.
- Fry the onions and stew meat together for 10 minutes.
- Add in apricots, raisins, walnuts, turmeric, salt, cinnamon and cumin and fry for another 3 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Boil the rice for 10 minutes, until tender but not completely cooked. Immediately drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a Dutch oven, melt the better. Butter both sides of each tortilla.
- Place one tortilla on the bottom, and four tortillas around the side of the pot.
- Take 1/3 of the rice and add it in the tortilla lined pot. Pour 1/3 of the saffron water over the rice, and 1/2 of the meat mixture on top.
- Add another 1/3 of the rice, followed by the rest of the meat, followed by the rest of the rice. Drizzle the remaining saffron water on top.
- Place the last tortilla on top of the rice, and fold down the tortillas from the side, making sure there is no rice exposed.
- Cover the pot and bake for 55 minutes at 350.
- Let the rice sit for 5 minutes after taking it out of the oven.
- Flip over onto a serving plate or tray & carefully slice open the tortilla crust into fourths and enjoy!