- 6 pears, peeled
- 2 cups pomegranate juice (or wine!)
- 3 cups water
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 green cardamom pod, crushed
- 1 cup honey or coconut sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- A few drops of red food coloring (optional)
- Clotted cream or vanilla ice cream
- Mix together all of the syrup ingredients in a pot wide enough to fit the pears.
- Add the peeled pears to the pot & bring the syrup to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes – 1 hour, until the pears are softened.
- Remove the pears & boil the syrup for another 5 minutes, allowing it to thicken some more.
- Pour some of the syrup over the pears & serve with fresh cream or ice cream.
- I personally love enjoying the pears while they are still warm, but you can also serve them chilled.