This is my absolute favorite Persian dish! Our best friends from Iran made this dish several times for us, and we also had an Azerbaijani version of it on our trip to Baku.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 pounds stew meat
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp ground fenugreek seeds (or 1/4 cup fresh fenugreek leaves, chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups bone broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 8 dried lemons, pierced
- 1 can kidney beans
- Fry the chopped onion in 1/4 cup olive oil for 10 minutes in a deep pot.
- Add turmeric and fry for 1 minute.
- Add in stew meat and cook for another 10 minutes.
- In another pan, fry all greens and ground fenugreek seeds in 1/4 cup olive oil for 10 minutes.
- Stir the greens mixture into the meat mixture. Add broth, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add dried lemons & simmer for another 45 minutes.
- Add beans and simmer for another 30 minutes. Add more salt & pepper if desired.
**Serve with crispy tahdig rice and bread**