- 4 eggplants, sliced lengthwise + 1 tsp salt
- Oil for frying
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Soak the eggplant slices in a large bowl of water and salt for 30 minutes.
- Pat the eggplant slices dry, and fry each side for approximately 2 minutes over medium-high heat, or until it turns a light golden color.
- In a round casserole dish, carefully weave the fried eggplant slices in a lattice pattern.
- Over medium-high heat, fry ground beef, onion and garlic for 10 minutes.
- Add in remaining ingredients & simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Carefully pour the meat mixture over into the casserole dish, and bake for 30 minutes at 350.
- Let the dish cool for 10 minutes before carefully flipping the dish over on a serving tray.
**Serve with rice and decorate with fresh herbs, if desired!**