Perfect comfort food for a rainy day!
- 2/3 cup warm milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp psyllium husk (for GF flour)
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 3 cups grated tomatoes
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- 6 chicken breasts, butterflied
- 1 cup flour + 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs + 1/2 cup parmesan + 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups oil for frying
- 6-8 slices of cheese (I used white cheddar!)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil for topping
- For the crust, mix together the warm milk, yeast & honey in a bowl. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Add all of the remaining crust ingredients. Mix, cover & let the dough rise for 90 minutes.
- Press the dough into a greased springform pan & bake for 10 minutes at 350.
- For the sauce, fry together the onion & garlic in the olive oil & butter over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add in the spices, honey & tomatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in the fresh basil & simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat & blend the sauce with an immersion blender.
- Prepare 3 plates with the following:
- First plate: 1 cup flour & 1 tsp salt
- Second plate: 3 eggs, beaten
- Third plate: 1 cup breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup parmesan & 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Dip each butterflied chicken breast in each plate: first in the flour, then in the eggs, then in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Fry the chicken for 1 minute per side over high heat.
- Place half of the cheese slices on top of the pre-baked pie crust. Add a layer of fried chicken, 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese & half of the tomato sauce.
- Add the remaining fried chicken, 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese & the remaining tomato sauce.
- Top with the remaining sliced cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese & 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350.
- Garnish with fresh basil.