- 2 onions
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cut off the tops & outer layer of the onions.
- Placing the onion cut side down & cut the onion starting 1/2″ below the root going all the way down to the cutting board. Repeat this cut 10-14 times around the onion.
- Flip the onions over & use your fingers to gently separate the layers.
- Mix all of the wet mix ingredients together in one bowl.
- In another bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together.
- Dip the onions once in the dry mixture, once in the wet mixture, and once more in the dry mixture.
- Fry each onion for about 5-7 minutes in very hot oil (about 375).
I made a simple dip to go along with the onions – 1 part mayo, 1 part Greek yogurt, and 1 part sriracha sauce.